Wednesday, June 06, 2007

1 John 1 and Romans 7

Firstly, make sure you read the other blog (how are you?) below and check out the challenge at the end...

There have been a couple of comments on one of my blogs about holiness. Its amazing how many people dont believe we can be holy on the Earth now. Its amazing the Scripture some people use to try and defend their position. Its amzing how many Salvationists no longer believe our doctrines.

I want to have a quick look at 1 John 1:5-2:11. Most of this part is from John Wesley...

Many people use verse 8, "If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us" to say we cant be holy. Verse 8 is speaking about before we have been cleansed by the blood, as verse 9 say BUT "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness."

1) Both to forgive us our sins — To take away all the guilt of them.
2) And to cleanse us from all unrighteousness — To purify our souls from every kind and every degree of it.

All unrighteousness, that to me means original sin, personal sin, sinful desires and passions, ALL UNRIGHTEOUSNESS. The only thing left that can make us sin is the same disobedience that Adam and Eve committed when they took the apple.

Verse 10 then says we have all sinned. We agree. We can never forget that we have been past sinners.

The rest of the passage speaks of living in the light, about not sinning, about how if we really are in Jesus then we wont sin!

People also use Romans 7:15 "I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do." Unfortunately they again have missed what Paul is saying. Look at verse 14 says, "We know that the law is spiritual; but I am unspiritual, sold as a slave to sin" hes having a go at the jews. Hes being sarcastic. He does this sort of thing all the time. (look at Romans 6:1, 6:15 etc)

Then he builds his case in the next few verses finally coming to 24 "What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death?" Then he gives his answer, "25Thanks be to God—through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God's law, but in the sinful nature a slave to the law of sin." Once again we see there are two sides to be on, death and sin or God and righteousness! Romans 7 is totally connected to Romans 6:11-14 if you dont think this logic is working! Hes saying he is a slave to righteousness not sin!

Heres a couple more verses that I believe back me up, Galatians 5:24 "Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires." 1 Thessalonians 5:23 "May God himself, the God of peace, sanctify you through and through. May your whole spirit, soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ."

The Salvation Army Doctrine 10:We believe that it is the privilege of all believers to be wholly sanctified, and that their whole spirit and soul and body may be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

ok thats me, and how I read those passages, Im open for a debate!

2 comments:

Captain Andrew Clark said...

Amen brother...there are so many who think they can use 1 John 1 as a proof text for living lives with sin...the rest of the verse, if the read it, just doesn't allow that interpretation!

Holiness unto the Lord!

living4today said...

way 2 go James,
i laughed, i cried and i loved it!lol. great argument. God is good and can purify us, but not if we hold onto our sin.
alana