Tuesday, March 03, 2009

HOLINESS AND ZEAL FOR SOULS

'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men,' said Jesus to Peter and Andrew; and now
as then when Jesus saves a soul, that soul wants to catch men, wants to see others saved.

Holiness increases this desire, and makes it burn with a quenchless flame. The zeal of other people blazes up, burns low, and often dies out, but the zeal of a man with a clean heart, full of the Holy Ghost, increases year by year. Others run away from the prayer-meeting, but he holds on. Others do not grieve if souls are not saved, but he feels that he must see souls saved, or die. Others are zealous for 'big goes,' tea parties, ice-cream suppers, and musical festivals, but nothing pleases him so much as a prayer-meeting where souls are crying to God for pardon and cleansing, and others are shouting for joy.
Brengle (The Way of Holiness)

I can honestly testify that I was once drifting away from God. I knew He was there, and I prayed, I believed but He didnt have all of me. I guess a better way of saying it is that I was numb, I wasnt in the know, I didnt really have a passion. But then one night I prayed and prayed and prayed for the Holy Spirit to fall upon me and to fill me and overfill me! And He did! That night my arms which I had raised up in worship would not stop shaking for four hours! BUT that was only a sign of what was happening in my heart. The Holy Spirit flooded my heart with love, and a zeal for the lost. Whenever I went to work I wanted to preach the gospel! Whenever I was on a tram I looked for opportunities to preach the gospel! And my life which lacked in passion and purpose completely changed. My life was and still is committed to leading people to Christ. And Hallelujah I have that awesome privilige so often!

When people ask me how to evangelise from now on, Im going to tell them that story. Because true evangelism has its roots in the love of God filling our hearts and flowing out. Have you been baptised in love by the Holy Spirit? If you havent why not pray now that God would fill you with His love and that that would overflow in all your human relationships! Remember He said, "I am the Lord your God who makes you holy!"

No comments: