Friday, May 02, 2008

Simple Evangelism

Exposing 2 lies the devil gives to confuse evangelism

I travel around a bit and love to speak to youth about evangelism. I’ve even done some surveys and I have found that people believe a lot of lies. The devil lies to us and tells us that we don’t have a good testimony to tell and he lies to us that we are not good enough to be an evangelist. I have found that these two lies hinder the work of youth in evangelisation, and I hope that by addressing them we will be able to evangelise better.

The first lie is that our testimony is boring, or that it’s not good enough. John has something different to say though, “Anyone who believes in the Son of God has this testimony in his heart… and this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life.” 1 John 5:10-12

As I was growing up I always wanted to have a better testimony, I wanted the testimony of the guy who used to be a drunk but got saved and was made sober. I wanted that complete life change that everyone spoke about. But little did I know that my testimony was just as good. I had grown up in a Christian family, my parents were missionaries. I didn’t really every go off the rails. I didn’t really have anything exciting to say.

I find that youth are the same as me. We want a good story to tell. But John says that our testimony is not when we had a glory fit, slain in the Spirit, delivered from addiction, rather our testimony is that if we believe in Jesus we are saved. Now, all those things that happen to us are good things and we can testify about them. But John brings us back to the start. Our testimony is that Jesus is alive. He has risen from the dead and if we believe in Him we have the testimony.

So often we get caught up in the lie that our testimony is not good enough. But really our testimony is amazing. Jesus rose from the dead, and if you believe in Him you will be saved! Our testimony is 2000 years old. It’s the same testimony as the guy who was possessed and miraculously set free. Jesus saves.

Don’t listen to the devils lie that your testimony is no good. Our testimony is good. Jesus died and rose again, if we believe we are saved!

The second lie is that we are not good enough to lead someone to Christ. The amount of emails I have had about this in incredible. As I speak to youth they always seem to say “I don’t know what to say” or “I’m not good enough, I don’t have the gift of evangelism.” These are all lies.

Let’s look at Paul. He was the evangelists to the gentiles. This is what He said about His ministry. “When I came to you, brothers, I did not come with eloquence or superior wisdom as I proclaimed to you the testimony about God. For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified. I came to you in weakness and fear, and with much trembling. My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit's power, so that your faith might not rest on men's wisdom, but on God's power”. 1 Corinthians 2:1-5

Can you believe that? Paul says that he didn’t preach with fancy words, or great wisdom, he was weak, fearful and trembling! So many youth I know are terrified of the thought of evangelising. I remember when I use to go out, and this still sometimes happens, that I would be shaking because I was so nervous! Paul, the ultimate evangelist was a scaredy cat just like you and me. People always had a go at how he spoke. But that’s not what he was preaching.

You see, Paul was a powerful preacher because he preached Jesus crucified. He said he didn’t know anything but Christ crucified! It’s the same as our first point, Jesus died and rose to save us! That is the gospel! That is the good news! Paul didn’t preach with wise and persuasive words but by a demonstration of the Spirits power!

The Greek word used for power is dunamis from where we get dynamite and it means supernatural power, or miracle power! Paul didn’t have to preach fantastic because God backed him up in signs and wonders! People would be healed, demons would get kicked out, the lame would walk, the blind would see and the dead were raised! And because they see these things happen they believe the message!

Right now I’m seeing people from all over the world step out in faith and get the same results. I see it happening in the school I’m working in. People are getting healed, set free and saved! We don’t see these things happen because we don’t step out in faith, not because they don’t work. It is true that not all will be healed, but some will and Jesus has commanded us to preach, heal the sick, cast out demons and raise the dead.

Paul was not superman. He had no special powers of himself. It was all God working through him. It was the Holy Spirit, the same Holy Spirit that raised Jesus from the dead, and the same Holy Spirit that is in you. So, can we put this lie to death that you are not good enough?

You are good enough to be an evangelist, not because you are an extrovert, not because you are smart, not because you can speak well, but because Jesus has saved you and the Holy Spirit will back up your message.

So here’s the challenge. Preach a simple gospel, “Jesus saves.” Then heal the sick.

1 comment:

Kathleen Pearce said...

Good Message man,
Thanks for the timely reminder.
Grace.