Thursday, May 08, 2008

Priesthood of all believers

I will make you into a great nation
and I will bless you;
I will make your name great,
and you will be a blessing.

I will bless those who bless you,
and whoever curses you I will curse;
and all peoples on earth
will be blessed through you."

(Genesis 12)

Now if you obey me fully and keep my covenant, then out of all nations you will be my treasured possession. Although the whole earth is mine, 6 you [a] will be for me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation.'

(Exodus 19)

These two passages are foundational missional texts. They both say that God wants to bless us to bless others. It says that everyone is suppose to be involved in mission.

To Abram he says he will bless him to bless others. If you are saved, you are saved to save. How many people are you actively trying to lead to the Lord at the moment?

To the Israelites God says you will all be a holy go between people. If you are saved are you still sinning? If you are sinning you are not holy. Are you the go between for the people you know who do not yet know God? Are you interceding for them?

God has commanded us to be His people here on Earth. We cannot stand by and do nothing. We can not keep busy by doing 'good' things. We need to be actively involved in leading people to Christ, interceding on their behalf and we need to be holy. These are not suggestions and it is not simply advice. To read these texts and do nothing about it is to disobey God.

As this challenges me and impacts the way I live, I pray that it will impact you too to get involved in Gods saving plan for planet Earth.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow. I read these two passages today! Actually, I listened to them on cd. So cool. And you're absolutely right. Imagine how much we could do if we all got this right. Such a challenge. Thanks James!
Sarah Brinkley.