Sunday, September 09, 2007

Old people slain...

I had some good discussion on my last post, but I feel I need to clarify a little bit.

One thing that is bugging me and I would guess with alot of youth in The Salvation Army, (but not restricted to The Army, any denomination in Australia...) is that our ideas are put down or demoted because others see our views as views of our generation. However I would say it is based on what Jesus said for us to do! It is based on the Bible. And how the church in Australia over the past 50 years hasn't been able to do it. (Again this is a problem which has stretched across all denominations and it is a problem as we see the continued effects of the last 50 years...)

And so now we see the problems with the older congregations who have been faithful are beginning not to fit in with a Jesus-biblical-missional culture of being a light in the dark. Thats my opinion, debate it please! But give the youth some slack, we're doing and trying to do what we think Jesus commands us to do, it is not out of our generational difference as such, but out of our generational response to the gospel of Jesus.
-----------
Secondly, Bible study today was great! We read through 2 Corinthians 5:11-6:1. As we read it we were all challenged by the bit "compelled by the love of Christ." We then prayed for each other to be filled with the love of God. As we were praying the Holy Spirit fell and so did we as we were prayed for.

This is often regarded to being called "slain in the Holy Spirit." One of my friends hates the term because slain refers to being killed and we haven't really been killed. I try to make the point we're being "like dead" or we're crucifying the sinful nature type thing, but the phrase, "slain in the Holy Spirit" doesn't quite fit...

So, can you please suggest some other names for being slain in the Holy Spirit? I cant think of any that sound as cool as that but I wanna be more correct... help me out!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

James firstly - it is really the Baptism of the Holy Spirit (I think slain in the Spirit is a term the Pentecostals use _ yes I love the Pentecostals not having a go at them)

I sat in a meeting the other day which showed the state of our Division we are in the EVD and the graph showed how the young people were distributed across the corps and the shocking statistic was that 5% (this was shocking also that there were only 330) of them attended 19 corps meaning that many corps dont have any young people.

This has had my heart aching and my head going to work out a solution.

The problem being as you said we are reaping what has been sown over the past 50 years.

The solutions I hope we find them and are couragous to follow them out.

It is an unfortunate situation however where we have this Older Brother Syndrone in the church where people are comfortable and dont like it when the prodigals come home and need attention or if things need to change to bring the prodigals home.

I think we need to pray for a real outpouring of Gods Spirit to annount them all that they may have their eyes opened to see that the purpose they exist is for this reason.

Dont get discouraged James change will only come through people like you and it warms my heart to read your blog and hear the exciting things you are doing.

count me in as a prayer warrior for you.

BM

james said...

Thanks for your comment anon and I would love you to email me who you are so I can send out a prayer newsletter to you...

about the being slain in the Spirit, I dont saee that as Baptism in The Holy Spirit. It defianetly happens sometimes when that is happening, but it also happens during prayer for anything, like deliverance, healing, holiness etc

so while it is obviously Holy Spirit, Im looking for a new word for the falling over part...

Mike said...

Hi James,
I stumbled across your blog via Google daily word search under 'Salvation Army'.
In the book 'Trailblazers' published by UK THQ, Elijah Cadman (quoting page 97) refers to similar events as 'glory fits', or 'being absent from the body and present with the Lord' - for a time.
God bless you in your passion to see mission accomplished, as do my wife and I.
Grace,
CO Whyalla

Unknown said...

Salvos experienced 'prostrations' in meetings before the Pentecostal church was around. They were known as "Glory fits" and salvos i know still use that term.

Stephen Court said...

The SA term is 'glory fits'.
grace
stephenC