Saturday, September 15, 2007

Free will?

There is a tension between human free will and Gods sovereignty. Is God completely in charge of everything that happens or is it all us, or is it a bit of both?

People are fine to say that God is control of everything until the subject of evil pops up. People are fine to say that Gods will will be done no doubt about that. But I really doubt that. 30,000 kids dieing every night because they're hungry, is that Gods will? I seriously doubt that. The young girl that gets kidnapped raped and tortured? Gods will? I don't think so.

God cant be holding a remote control up in heaven determining what will and wont happen. It would mean that our ideas of God being love, holy and just would all fly out the window.

So what can we say? What is the other choice? The other choice is that God has given us a bit of responsibility. That we choose what we do. I read a great quote in Shane Claiborne's book "The Irresistible Revolution." I think he sums this up, "He wants to ask why God allows all of this poverty and war and suffering to exist in the world. And his friend says, "Well, why dont you ask?" The fellow shakes his head and says he is scared. When his friend asks why he mutters, "I'm scared God will ask me the same question!"...... I can feel the Spirit whisper to me, "You tell me why we allow this to happen. You are my body, my hands, my feet."

So is this just our reason implying this? No way. It sounds awfully like asking God foe His Kingdom to come and His will to be done, it sounds like the sheep and the goats. It's exactly like the God of the Old and New Testaments who likes to work with His creation. And why wouldn't He? We are made in His image...

No comments: