Saturday, August 11, 2007

alcohol

The world is always telling me to drink alcohol. To many people I seem like a loser because I dont drink alcohol! The sterottypical aussie bloke drinks beers while he watches the footy while I drink water. People often say The Salvos should take the no drinking thing out of the covenant then we'd get more people joining up. Many salvo officer kids drink and dont understand why we shouldnt. So here are some reasons why I don't drink alcohol.

Because it is bad for your health
Because Romans 6 says that whatever we submit ourselves to that will rule us. I dont want to be ruled by alcohol
I dont want to get drunk
I dont want to get sick and throw up, not my idea of a good time
I dont want to do things I'll regret
I dont want to damage relationships
I dont want to embarrass myself
I dont want to get addicted

I want to show addicts there is hope
I want to tell the world alcohol is bad for society
I want to stay pure for God
I dont want to sin by losing control of myself
I want people to realize that alcohol is not needed for a good time
I want to let my friends and family know they can trust me all the time
I want to submit my life to God, God and no other


Alcohol is responsible for so much crime
Alcohol is responsible for so many divorces
Alcohol is responsible for so many family breakups
Alcohol is responsible for so much abuse in the family
Alcohol is responsible for so many broken relationships
Alcohol is responsible for trust being broken
Alcohol is responsible for so many car crashes
Alcohol is responsible for so many deaths
Alcohol is responsible for so many people not dealing with grief and life issues properally

Alcohol is responsible for so much sin

I dont see many positives of drinking alcohol.
I dont want to drink alcohol.

There you go. Thats what I think. The Bible also tells us heaps of times not to get drunk, not to have too much to drink, and in fact there were some hardcore jews who wouldn't drink alcohol at all because they wanted to stay holy set apart for God.

You need to choose. Is drinking alcohol giving God your best? How can it possibly be? Instead of seeing alcohol as a way to fit in with friends, see it as a way to devote yourself to God and to show your friends how great God is. Im not talking about law here, it just seems common sense for Christians not to drink. What do you think?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yikes James.. i was thinking about this tonight. I needed to read that. Thank you=) love ya xxx

Anonymous said...

Here is another great verse of Scripture from Proverbs to back up your thoughts on this subject. "Wine is a mocker, beer is a brawler, and whoever staggers because of them is not wise." Proverbs 20:1 I came across this one in my devotional time this morning.

living4today said...

Go James!
thankyou so much for writing this blog because i know so many people need to hear it.
i've been to parties before where my friends spend an hour drinking and having fun then they spend 4 hours puking and feeling like rubbish.
it's all so stupid.
God bless, alana;P