Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Talking. We all do it. Some, more than others. My girlfriend loves to talk, sometimes for minutes before taking a break to see if I am still listening! I joke about that but I how true is it that we all can talk too much from time to time?

I love to talk to people. I have found my purpose at 614, I love talking to people and offering prayer and support! I love to encourage people, even though I know Im not very good at it! I love to debate with people. I love a good arguement, if with friends or family, I love to debate even when I know I am wrong as its more of a challenge!

But lately, I have been convicted by God about talking. Reading through Timothy, Titus and some other New Testament books, I have been confronted with words such as "Turn away from godless chatter."

How much of what I say is necessary? A great question to ask. I have had some big issues in my life recently and I love to talk to deal with those. But there comes a time to hold words in. Times when they may not be positive and life bringing words.

On the other hand Im having a problem even when Im offering words of life when I try to encourage people. I wonder if I use too many words which makes them think Im sucking up to them, or makes them think Im making it up! (Which Im bot!)

I am completely convinced that words need to be backed up with action. I am reminded by the English cricket team, they can talk the talk but can they walk the talk? No. The aussies on the other hand can say whatever they like, they can play, they are the best team in the world.

When we talk, are we full of hot air? Do we speak death? Do we speak life? Do we speak truth? Do we speak love?

Do we act out what we say?

With the tongue we praise our LORD and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in Gods likeness... Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him show it by his good life. by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom. (James 3:9 and 13)

3 comments:

Pete Brookshaw said...

You think YOU talk too much; what about me?!

I think it's the extroverted person's greatest danger. Extroverts think while they talk. Maybe we could learn a little from the contemplatives, because they think before they speak.

james said...

hahaha yeah, great thought! You hit it on the head! Think while we talk! hmmm perhaps we need to talk to ourselves before we talk to people?lol

Anonymous said...

Too much was just said there without real need guys! Pete.... well! lol. Some people think out aloud, or, while they talk and as a Disciple of Jesus, if we live what we preach that's ok since what we need to say is already engrained on our tongues - so what is the first things that come out of our mouths, words of encouragement and love? Something that challenges me at least! Good thought James, something that I think about often too, especially around women, so many words for such simple conversations!! :)
God bless mate - catch you very soon hopefully!
Simon.